Monday, May 31, 2010

Tutshill Woods

In a quest to find places to walk my dog which aren't too far away from where I live I searched the internet this morning and found Tutshill Woods. If you drive out of Barnstaple toward the hospital and turn left you can park your car near the entrance to the cattery and find, almost hidden away, a public footpath which is a narrow lane between trees with fields behind that.
This leads down to a river where, to the left, the popular play area of Mannings Pit can be found.

We went right, across a nice wooden little footbridge, then on across the field in the photo above and into the woods. The way through the woods (ooh, sounds like a poem!) is narrow and pretty with the ivr tinkling along far below you. It goes out to a road leading back to the main road but we didn't go that far. We turned around and headed back to level ground next to the river bank where we sat and ate sandwiches before returning home with a very knackered dog.

We met a few other people walking thier dogs, so its a popular spot. I liked it, so I think we'll be going again.

2 comments:

Shenandoah bed and breakfast said...

Tutshill and Sedbury villages, which are more or less joined together now, are positioned on a spit of land formed by the mouth of the River Wye, and the River Severn estuary where it enters the Bristol Channel. Adjacent to the mouth of the River Wye is the small village of Beachley as well.

devongirlie said...

I think you must mean a different Tutshill to me. My one is definately in North Devon, just outside of Barnstaple.