Thursday, September 02, 2010

Combes Gate Beach

Yesterday I found a new beach! That's not to say that I was the first to discover it, but it was new to me. My friend comes here a lot and she took my kids out with hers, two of the three anyway, and I met them at lunch with a picnic. We stayed til gone 5 o'clock which is the longest I've spent on a beach in years.

Combes Gate is a tiny little cove at the end of Woolacombe as you head along the coast towards Mortehoe. Parking is difficult unless you get there early in the morning and nab a free place on the road. I had to park in Woolacombe car park and walk to get there, this cost me £6. That's an all day fee, your only option in that car park, and its pay on exit by feeding coins into the lever-arm machine.

The beach is lovely, with not many people on it at all. When the tide goes out there are lots of rock pools to explore. The kids caught a few shrimp and fish and a massive crab. They also went in the sea lots. Down by the waters edge there was quite a breeze today, but further up into the cove it was quite sheltered and warm. Why couldn't it have been like this through August? And why do summer holidays have to end. I'm off to work now. Doom!

4 comments:

buryblue said...

Just returned from a weeks holiday at Westward Ho! We have many relatives who live around Barnstaple /Bideford area so a trip here is always a chance to catch up with them as well as visit a few places. Discovered your blog while doing an internet search on Abbotsham Cliffs

Like your photos Paul

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bali Wedding said...

Hi, greetings from bali wedding. I am very impressed and gave me new knowledge. Thanks for the article. Thanks

ALL TRAVELS said...

Beautiful places!!